Wednesday 25 July 2012

Blog on Dudley GP womens omnium - Eleanor Jones


Held over the first weekend in July, the weather promised us rain for the entire weekend. BUT the sun came good and a full race programme was held over 2 days, including a round of the women’s National Omnium on the Sunday.

Halesowen is a 10 minute drive from my house so I rolled out of bed and got there in good time. Not so my team mates Adel and Jo, who decided not to risk it with the weather. Jo I believe went for a rainy road ride instead (unlucky hun!). I was joined by team mate Laura Clode and super DS and mechanic Jason Streather and his brother Jamie.

Unfortunately the promise of poor weather had drastically reduced the field to only 11 riders, with a good mix of experienced races and exciting newbies – take note of Katie Archibald, Rachel James and sprinter Lauren Quenby.


First event – the scratch – Katie Archibald quickly got a half lap lead from the gun (apparently the men start faster than the women do!) which I’m sure she regretted relinquishing. The bunch came back together and despite a few attacks it stayed together. I had told myself I would go with 6 to go, so when the lap board said 2 I decided I didn’t want to hang around for the sprint finish! A quick dig saw me get some space, followed by Katie Archibald. Coming through the line, I checked my shoulder, saw the bunch (Katie) and decided to swing up. Katy came through, kept going, and I missed her wheel. Now I had a whole lap in no man’s land, whoops. School girl error there. I held on and was overhauled on the line, finishing 6th overall.

Next up – pursuit. This one’s pretty easy – PLF for 5 laps. I can do that. With Jase’s super fast wheels I lined up with Hannah Manley and Jan Birkmyre. I was pretty psyched for this one – I like pursuiting, and I had had a rubbish race at Welwyn. Final result – second, behind Jan.

Points next. An early, promising looking attack went that included Jan B but the bunch was vigilant and didn’t really want to let her go. First sprint went, people were out of breath and a little earlier than id like I find myself off the front with Katie Archibald again. This time a look, a wink and we had decided to work together. Et voila, one lap up and while I sat in, Katie just kept on going! Did I mention she was one to watch?!

I went into the sprint in 4th place, racing Rachel, Jan and Katie. The format of the sprint is that the first 4 overall race for 1-4 in the sprint, then the next four for 5-8 etc. So I couldn’t get any lower. Bonus. So, Jan and Rachel (sprinters!) race off, and me and Katie roll in behind. All good.

Last event was the TT, just one lap at Halesowen. I watched the first four riders on my station get a push at the start (yay!!! But no!!!) before the commisaire told the pusher that it was a held start – just before I was going to go! So up I go and round I race, a bit wbbly at the start but finish 5th in the TT, enough to hold on for 3rd overall.

Was massively chuffed with my results and massive thanks for all the advice and encouragement and equipment (Jase and Jamie), breakaway partners (Katie Archibald), and organizers. See you next year.


Result:
1 Miss Rachel James  Abergavenny Road Club 
2 Ms Janet Birkmyre  Torq Performance 
3 Mrs Eleanor Jones  VC St Raphael 
4 Miss Katie Archibald  Edinburgh Racers 
5 Miss Ellie Coster  Bush Healthcare CRT 
6 Miss Hannah Manley  For Viored 
7 Miss Lauren Quenby  Newcastle Racing Club 2001/Modern Glass.com 
8 Miss Laura Clode  VC St Raphael 
9 Miss Victoria Kinrade  Team Royal London 360
10 Miss Melissa Bury  Champion System/Maxgear/Kyklos 
11 Miss Sara Gent  VO2 Development Team 

No comments:

Post a Comment